DetailsOur daily sleep/wake cycle is regulated by our “circadian rhythm” the physical, mental and behavioural changes in our body that follow roughly a 24-hour cycle, responding primarily to light and darkness in our environment. The pineal gland at the base of the brain releases the sleep hormone, melatonin, when it gets dark, and suppresses production in the daytime. Older people can have problems sleeping because their melatonin levels are low. Studies have shown that a melatonin supplement can help reset the internal clock disrupted because of travelling and jet leg, daylight savings time, shift work, or change in daily routine. It can also help counteract the stress hormone cortisol as cortisol is not being released during production of melatonin and in presence of adequate sleep hormone levels at night. Melatonin is non-addictive and does not produce the “hangover” effect of many sleep-aid drugs.
- Helps people with low melatonin levels fall asleep more easily, sleep longer and wake up less frequently during the night.
- Reduces the fatigue caused by jet lag.
- Research indicates melatonin administered before surgery may help reduce post-operative pain and anxiety.
- Clinical research has found that melatonin can help reduce benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms or improve quality of sleep when added to benzodiazepine therapy.
Take 0.5 – 1 millilitre (mL) 1 time per day, at or before bedtime. 1 mL = 10 mg melatonin.
Medicinal ingredient: Melatonin.
Non-medicinal ingredients: citric acid, glycerin (vegetable), potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, purified water, black cherry flavour, sodium gluconate, black carrot juice, blackcurrant juice, invert sugar.
- Natural black cherry flavour and naturally sweetened
- Pure, safe, synthetic source
- High-potency melatonin in a liquid form for accelerated absorption and rapid effects
- Dairy and soy free