DetailsSAMe (pronounced "sammy") is short for S-adenosyl-L-methionine or S-adenosyl-methionine, a natural molecule formed in the body by methionine and adenosyl-triphosphate (ATP). Supplemental SAMe helps to raise serotonin, dopamine and phosphatidylserine levels.
Clinical research shows that SAMe elevates mood and has a positive effect on behaviour. It also maintains cartilage health and contributes to the production of joint supporting compounds such as glucosamine and chondroitin.
SAMe works actively with folic acid and vitamin B12, and together can promote healthy brain functioning. Natural Factors SAMe is specially coated for ease of swallowing and maximum bioavailability, which also enhances SAMe’s stability.
- Helps to raise serotonin, dopamine and phosphatidylserine levels
- Without the side effects of prescription antidepressants
- Support for arthritic disorders
- Helps to promote bile flow and inactivate excess estrogens
Individuals who are using prescription antidepressants or who suffer from bipolar disorder should use this product only under the supervision of a health care practitioner.
- Concurrent use of SAMe with natural substances that are used for depression, like 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) or St. John's Wort, may lead to serotonin syndrome, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI's), tricyclic medication, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, dextromethorphan, meperidine (Demerol), pentazocine (Talwin), tramadol (Ultram).
- Unless directed by a health care practitioner, the concurrent use of SAMe with medications that raise synaptic serotonin levels is contraindicated. * SAMe is able to methylate levodopa and this could adversely affect the management of Parkinson's disease.
- As a natural molecule already found in the body, supplemental SAMe has proved to be very safe for long-term use with hardly any side effects, especially when compared to prescription drugs.
- There is a caution for those with bipolar disorder or manic depression. It could worsen the "mania" phase of their depression. However, a small pilot study suggests that SAMe may help boost the effects of anti depressants to help patients when regular treatments fail.
- If there are not enough B vitamins available to the body, SAMe could break down into homocysteine, an amino acid that is correlated with heart disease.
- With the proper amount of B vitamins, SAMe is re-methylated into methionine rather than homocysteine, so we suggest that anyone taking SAMe ensure they get enough B vitamins, such as found in a good multivitamin or B complex.
- Liver disorders
- Migraine headaches
SAMe should always be taken on an empty stomach.
For mood balance: 1- 4 tablets, 2 times daily.
For osteoarthritic pain: 1-3 tablets, 2 times daily.
Do not exceed a total of 8 tablets per day. SAMe must be taken for a minimum of 2 weeks, at which time effects should be observed. Keep out of the reach of children.
Each tablet contains:
S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe): 200 mg
Children: Suitable for children at one-half the adult dosage.
Pregnancy and Nursing: Considered safe during pregnancy and lactation, however, oif there are any concerns, consult a health care practitioner.