Avril Café exclusive: Organic chicken drinking broth
In addition to beverages, sandwiches, salads, snacks and healthy desserts, Bistro Avril offers every week a varied menu to its customers. There, you can find original and tasty seasonal recipes made from ingredients of choice. This month’s featured recipe: organic chicken drinking broth.
- 1.5 kg organic chicken with the bones
- 2 organic carrots
- 3 organic celery stalks with the leaves
- 1 organic fennel bulb
- 2 organic yellow onions
- 1 organic garlic clove cut in half
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 branch of fresh thyme
- 1 5-cm piece of fresh turmeric
- 1 tbsp. black peppercorn
- 2 tbsp. sea salt
- Wash, peel and cut vegetables in large pieces.
- Gather all ingredients * in a very large saucepan and cover with 6 liters of filtered water.
- Slowly bring to a boil and then simmer for a minimum of 6 hours on low heat. Keep adding water as the broth evaporates.
- Filter the broth and save the chicken for another recipe.
- Allow the broth to cool overnight and remove the extra fat if necessary.
Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and for several months in the freezer.
* Variation: Add star anise, fresh ginger and a cinnamon stick to obtain a Vietnamese-flavored broth.
Preparation time: 20 minutes / Cooking time: 6 hours / Yields: 5 liters