Avril recipe: Christmas shortbread cookies
Because nothing is more fun than baking with your children, here’s a recipe for shortbread cookies to try with them during the Holidays!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, soft
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ½ tbsp. salt
- 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
1. In an electric mixer, beat butter at medium speed until smooth.
2. Add the sugar, icing sugar and salt and beat for 1 minute.
3. Reduce speed, add the egg yolks and beat until the mixture is homogeneous.
4. Stop the mixer and add the flour.
5. Pulse for 4 to 5 seconds to mix the flour in a little, and then continue mixing just until it disappears into the mixture (about 30 seconds). Be careful; do not beat the dough too much. Use a rubber spatula if there is flour left in the bottom of the bowl.
6. Empty dough on the counter, shape it into a ball and divide it in half.
7. Make two rolls about 9 inches long and roll into plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Remove cookie dough from plastic wrap. (If desired, brush the roll with egg wash and roll it in sanding sugar.)
3. Slice into 1-inch thick pieces and place in baking sheet.
4. Bake 17 to 20 minutes, until sides turn into a golden colour. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
(Cookies can be kept for 5 days in an airtight container and can be frozen for up to 2 months if they are not coated with sugar.)
Preparation time: 40 minutes (+ 3 hours of refrigeration) / Cooking time: 20 minutes / Servings: 40 cookies