Avril recipe: Dhal soup
Warm, nutritious and colourful, Dhal soup is the perfect antidote to cold weather. Discover our vegan version of this Indian-inspired dish.
- 2 tbsp. Maison Orphée Organic Sunflower Oil
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 4 cups of water
- 1 400 ml can naturallyorganic coconut milk
- ¼ cup dry green lentils
- ½ cup of dry red lentils
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Brown carrots, onion and celery for 5 minutes over high heat.
- Add garlic, ginger and spices. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add water, coconut milk and green lentils. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the red lentils and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
* Garnish ideas: fresh cilantro leaves, hemp seeds, lime wedge and hot sauce.
* For a complete meal: accompany with grilled naan bread and/or grilled tofu cubes.
Preparation time: 30 minutes / Cooking time: 1 hour / Yields: 6 servings