Avril recipe: Savoury scones
Whether for brunch or to accompany a soup or salad, you will love our savoury scones.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup fine herbs (parsley, chives, thyme, basil, etc.)
- 3/4 cup 2% milk or 35% cream
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 425 °F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, fine herbs and cheese.
3. In another bowl, whisk together milk, oil, mustard and one egg.
4. Gradually add the liquid mixture to the dry mix, mixing with a wooden spoon.
5. Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and knead just enough to make it soft. (Warning: scone dough should not be perfectly smooth, little chucks are preferred!)
6. Press the dough with your fingers to about 1 inch thick and use a cookie cutter or knife to form circles or triangles.
7. Place scones on baking sheet and brush them with egg wash.
8. Bake for about 14 minutes or until the tip of a knife inserted in the center of a scone comes out dry.
Let sit 5 minutes and serve hot.
Preparation time: 30 minutes / Cooking time: 14 minutes / Servings: 8 to 10 scones