Avril recipe: vegan Shepherd’s pie
Surprise everyone at home by serving our comforting and delicious vegan shepherd’s pie!
Root vegetable puree:
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. salt
Seitan and vegetable base
- 1 cup mushrooms of your choice, diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 2 cups frozen peas
1. Preheat oven to 400 °F.
2. Put root vegetables in a large pot, fill with water and add the salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until cooked through.
3. Drain root vegetables, making sure to save 1 cup of the cooking water. Return the root vegetables to the pot and mash. Add a little cooking water and season to taste.
4. In a food processor, combine the roast seitan with the mushrooms and pulse to crumble.
5. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Add seitan and mushroom mixture, 1 cup of the cooking water from the root vegetables, and the herbs. Simmer until the liquid has evaporated by half.
6. In an 8-inch cast-iron baking dish or skillet, layer seitan mixture, peas and root vegetable puree.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool before serving.
Preparation time: 30 minutes / Cooking time: 30 minutes / Servings: 4 to 6