EXPERT ADVICE: FIGHTING OFF WINTER INFECTIONS WITH ESSENTIAL OILS
In the field of natural health, essential oils are recognized for their many benefits. For example, they can provide protection against various infections (bacteria, viruses, etc.) during the winter months. Here’s a guide on how to use them.
How viruses spread
ENT infections, such as flu, colds, sinusitis, etc., are transmitted from one person to another through the simple act of breathing, or by skin or saliva contact. Sneezing and coughing, which project tiny droplets carrying viruses, are to blame when these infections start spreading.
While nothing can beat having a healthy lifestyle (eating well, exercising, taking probiotics, getting adequate rest, etc.) to prevent these infections, using essential oil based products can bring many additional benefits:
- Adding essential oils to your favourite hand or body cream will give it antibacterial, antiviral, moisturizing and protective properties. Not only is very little essential oil required (1-2 drops), it also prevents the skin from drying up, unlike alcohol or liquid soap.
- Aerial diffusion of essential oils, via a diffuser or an ultrasonic nebulizer, is another way to prevent infections. In addition to having a pleasant and therapeutic scent, it sends energy (negative ions) into the atmosphere and eliminates germs from the ambient air. Use this method at home and at work.
- A few drops of disinfecting essential oils can also be added to shower gels, liquid soaps, shampoos and cleaning products to eliminate germs.
Choose essential oils that include oxides (1,8 cineol) such as eucalyptus radiata, laurel leaf and palmarosa (monoterpenols). They are antimicrobial, mucolytic and non-aggressive on the mucous membranes. To ensure effective treatment, dilute essential oil in vegetable oil and apply the mixture directly on the skin (on the sore or infected area). The better the absorption by the skin, the better the results.
Caution: when used for treatment purposes, only use organic certified, premium quality essential oils. Please consult a doctor or health professional to assess the severity of the infection.
Why are essential oils effective?
One of the reasons essential oils are so effective is their ability to penetrate inside pathogenic bacteria and viruses, which are very sensitive to aromatic molecules. Their complex chemical composition (some essential oils can contain up to 300 different molecules) makes them highly therapeutic. According to Belgian pharmacist Dominique Baudoux, essential oils are an effective alternative to conventional drugs against many infections for the following reasons:
- Their natural synergistic mixtures fight off and eliminate germs, without generating virus resistance or mutation.
- They are tonic and stimulate our natural immunity via the antibodies and the natural resistance of the body. This double action allows for a faster recovery.
- Essential oils act positively on moods and emotions and provide a general sense of well-being.