Hubert Cormier’s advice: How to make the perfect protein salad in a jar (+ a Mexican salad in a jar recipe)
When it comes to diets or eating healthy, we almost always focus on sugar and fat. But really, we should be paying attention to protein. Whether you are a vegan, a vegetarian or a meat-lover, it is important to track the quantity, quality and variety of your protein intake. With summer just around the corner, discover how to make the perfect protein salad in a jar.
Proteins are composed of small molecules called amino acids. For a protein to be called “complete”, it must contain a certain variety of amino acids. The most complete proteins are found almost exclusively in animal protein, which is why they have the reputation of being of better quality. However, one must be vigilant about the type of animal protein consumed: fish and poultry are preferred, while red meat should be consumed in limited quantity. As for vegetable protein, it is still easy to obtain an equivalent variety of amino acids by combining different foods during the day (and not during the same meal, as many believe).
How to make the perfect protein salad in a jar
The perfect salad in a jar consists of: ½ cup of fruits and vegetables, ¼ cup of whole grains (rice, pasta, couscous, barley, quinoa, bread), ¼ cup of meat or substitutes and 2 to 3 tablespoons of dressing. And that is how you get a colourful, fresh and balanced meal!
1. Pour the dressing in first, so that it stays at the bottom of the jar and does not soak the other ingredients.
2. Add heavier and moisture-resistant vegetables (carrots, cucumbers, peppers, cauliflower, etc.) and/or legumes (chickpeas, lentils, etc.)
3. Add the whole grains.
4. Add protein (marinated chicken, grilled turkey, roast pork tenderloin, canned fish, grilled shrimp, tempeh, tofu, seitan, hummus or other). At this stage, it is also possible to add cheese (cottage, bocconcini, cheddar, feta, Swiss, etc.)
5. Add tender vegetables (roasted squash, avocado, etc.) and/or fruits (diced apples, pears, cantaloupe or honeydew melon, orange wedges, clementines…)
6. Add greenery (microgreens, salads), herbs and/or dried fruits.
7. Add toppings of your choice: grated cheese, nuts, oleaginous fruit (cashews, walnuts, peanuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.)
Mexican salad in a jar recipe
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup fresh corn, canned or frozen
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ⅔ tbsp. old-fashioned mustard
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 ⅓ tbsp. low-sodium taco mix
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
1. Mix black beans with corn, pepper and tomatoes.
2. Mix lime juice with vinegar, mustard, oil and spices. Add to the jar.
3. Place the salad in a bowl and decorate with the avocado slices, green onion and fresh cilantro!
Yield: 1 salad in a jar