Hubert Cormier’s recipes: protein bread and spread (with naturallyorganic microgreens)
On the weekends, I love to make bread and serve it with a very flavourful vegan spread. On Saturday, I start preparing the protein spread and on Sunday, while the bread is baking, I take time for myself and I relax with a good coffee. The aromas of bread and coffee blend together in the house and it is just pure happiness.
- 1 ½ cups flaked almonds
- 340g extra firm tofu
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme
- naturallyorganic microgreens to taste
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 envelope (7g) instant yeast
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp. whole flaxseed
- 2 tbsp. whole chia seeds
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds, shelled
- 1 branch of rosemary, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
1. In the food processor, reduce all the ingredients for the spread to a smooth purée (about 5 minutes).
2. Put mixture in a cheesecloth and squeeze the excess liquid. Place the cheesecloth and the mixture in a colander over a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
3. The next day, preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F) and grease a bread pan.
4. In a small bowl, combine warm water, yeast and oil, and let sit for 5 minutes.
5. In a large bowl, combine flours, seeds and rosemary. Add eggs and applesauce, and mix again.
6. Dig a small hole in the center of the preparation and pour in the yeast mixture. Incorporate well by making circular movements. Knead 5 minutes.
7. Transfer to the bread pan and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven (don’t turn off the oven), let it cool and slice it.
8. Transfer the spread into a baking dish, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Set aside.
9. Garnish bread slices with spread and microgreens to taste.
This recipe is from my new book “Déjeuners protéinés”.