Naturallyorganic product of the month: organic cashews (+ a salad in a jar recipe)
Naturallyorganic, Avril Supermarché Santé’s home brand, offers exclusive products of superior quality. Avril’s founders carefully select each item during their numerous trips abroad, where they set out to discover local, responsible and eco-friendly producers. This month’s selection: organic raw cashews.
Although many believe that cashews are part of the nut family, they actually are an oleaginous fruit from the cashew tree. Our cashews are Ecocert Canada certified (meaning they are organic) and Forest Garden certified (meaning they contribute to the biodiversity of Sri Lanka). Also, they are shelled by hand rather than boiled, ensuring that the cashews retain their complete nutritional value.
Health benefits of cashews
Cashew nuts are a good source of vitamins (B1, B2, E and K) and minerals (copper, magnesium, iron, manganese, phosphorus and zinc)1. They also contain a significant amount of protein (providing a satiating effect)2, fibre (beneficial for intestinal transit)2 and antioxidants (protecting the body’s cells from damage caused by free radicals)1. Another interesting fact: cashews are made of 60% monounsaturated fatty acids (good fats) with beneficial effects on cardiovascular health1. They can be eaten by themselves as a snack, used to make vegetarian beverages, sauces and butters as well as savoury (salads, stir-fries, rice, etc.) and sweet (biscuits, brownies, cakes, etc.) dishes.
Summer salad in a jar recipe
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp. cane sugar
- 1 tsp. dried hibiscus petals
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. hibiscus tea
- ¼ cup beet juice
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup Tofutti vegan sour cream
- 2 tbsp. cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp. dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp. almonds
- ¼ cup microgreens
- ¼ cup bean sprouts
- ⅓ cup blueberries
- 2 cups baby spinach
1. Bring the water and sugar to a boil, remove from heat and add the hibiscus tea. Simmer 5 minutes. Sieve and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
2. In a bowl, whisk remaining ingredients until smooth, then add tea mixture.
1. In a glass jar, arrange all salad ingredients, starting with berries and nuts, and ending with spinach and sprouts.
2. When serving, empty the contents into a bowl and add dressing.