Naturallyorganic products of the month: organic almond and peanut butters
Naturallyorganic, Avril Supermarché Santé’s home brand, offers exclusive products of superior quality. Avril’s founders, Sylvie Senay and Rolland Tanguay, carefully select each item during their numerous trips abroad, where they set out to discover local, responsible and eco-friendly producers. This month’s selection: organic almond and peanut butters.
In addition to being vegan and certified organic by Ecocert Canada, naturallyorganic almond and peanut butters are free of preservatives, artificial flavours, salt, sugar and added fats. In fact, our nut butters are made from just one ingredient each. The almond butter is made from organic dry roasted Guara almonds, while both the creamy and crunchy peanut butters are made of organic dry roasted peanuts and nothing else!
Not only are they delectable (and oh so comforting!), naturallyorganic nut butters have many health benefits:
- Antioxidant properties: Almond and peanut butter both contain vitamin E, an excellent antioxidant. One 32g serving (approx. 2 tbsp.) of almond butter represents 79% of the daily recommended intake of vitamin E, while one serving of peanut butter makes up 22%. They also contain copper, manganese, zinc and other essential trace elements that play a role in protecting cells against oxidation.
- Immune system health: One serving of almond or peanut butter represents 12% of the daily recommended intake of zinc, a trace element that strengthens the immune response.
- Bone and teeth health: Almond and peanut butters contain magnesium and phosphorus, two essential minerals for healthy bones and teeth. In addition, one serving of almond butter represents 10% of the daily recommended intake of calcium, another nutrient that ensures optimal bone and teeth growth.
- Cardiovascular health: Almond and peanut butters contain healthy fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) that tend to lower the bad cholesterol in the blood while increasing the good one. One serving of each of these butters also represents approximately 6.5% of the daily recommended intake of iron, a mineral essential for the transport of oxygen in the blood.
- Digestive system health: Almond and peanut butters are a good source of fibre, which promotes healthy bowel movement. They also contain Niacin (B3), a vitamin B complex that facilitates the breakdown of proteins, lipids and carbohydrates during digestion.
Much more than toast material!
Almond and peanut butter aren’t just for your morning toasts! They can easily be added to your favourite recipes to improve their nutritional value. For breakfast, add them to your yogurt, oatmeal or smoothies. For lunch and dinner, add them to your vinaigrettes, dips, dragon sauces and soups. And as for snacks, use them in your favourite bar, energy ball, muffin and bread recipes.
* Once the jar is open, make sure to mix well in order to obtain a homogeneous butter. Almond and peanut butter can be stored for a few weeks at room temperature and for up to two months in the refrigerator.
(Thank you to Amélie Gaboriault, nutritional counsellor, for collaborating to this article.)