Naturellementbio product of the month: organic coconut milk (+ a dahl soup recipe)
Naturellementbio, Avril Supermarché Santé’s home brand, offers exclusive products of superior quality. Avril’s founders carefully select each item during their numerous trips abroad, where they set out to discover local, responsible and eco-friendly producers. This month’s selection: organic coconut milk.
How is coconut milk made?
Like most plant-based milks, coconut milk is made from the coconut’s flesh. The most common method is to infuse the grated coconut in hot water. The mixture is then filtered to extract the liquids, fats and, of course, the flavours. Finally, guar gum* is added so that the coconut water and the coconut fat do not separate in the container. Naturallyorganic’s light and superior coconut milks contain only three ingredients: organic coconut, water and guar gum.
* Guar gum is a natural food thickener, stabilizer (binder) and emulsifier. It comes from guar, a legume. Its seeds provide a whitish and odourless powder that jellifies when in contact with water. Among its properties, guar gum is known to slow down metabolism of sugars, reduce absorption of sugars and fats, reduce cholesterol levels and regulate intestinal transit.
What are the benefits of coconut milk?
In addition to being rich in minerals (iron, potassium and phosphorus), coconut milk contains selenium, a trace element that promotes joint health. Although coconut milk is also a good alternative to dairy milk for vegans or people with allergies or intolerances, it should be consumed in moderate quantities given its saturated fat content2.
How to use coconut milk in the kitchen?
On several continents such as Central America and Asia, coconut milk is an integral part of people’s daily cooking. Now popular for some years in the West, it can replace dairy milk in most recipes. From smoothies to soups, stews and rice puddings, there are a thousand ways to incorporate it your favourite recipes!
Dahl Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp. Maison Orphée Organic Sunflower Oil
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 4 cups of water
- 1 400 ml can naturallyorganic coconut milk
- ¼ cup dry green lentils
- ½ cup of dry red lentils
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Brown carrots, onion and celery for 5 minutes over high heat.
2. Add garlic, ginger and spices. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add water, coconut milk and green lentils. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add the red lentils and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
* Garnish ideas: fresh cilantro leaves, hemp seeds, lime wedge and hot sauce.
* For a complete meal: accompany with grilled naan bread and/or grilled tofu cubes.
Preparation time: 30 minutes / Cooking time: 1 hour / Yields: 6 servings