Product of the month: naturallyorganic couscous (+ a bruschetta couscous salad recipe)
Naturallyorganic, Avril Supermarché Santé’s home brand, offers exclusive products of superior quality. Avril’s founders carefully select each item during their numerous trips abroad, where they set out to discover local, responsible and eco-friendly producers. This month’s selection: organic couscous.
Organic couscous and organic whole wheat couscous are Canadian products made in Quebec. Made from durum wheat semolina, they contain a high content of carbohydrates, proteins, fibre and iron. In addition to providing a feeling of satiety, they provide long-term energy through the release of slow sugars contained in wheat starch. In the kitchen, couscous is an alternative to pasta and rice and can be served as a side dish or as a salad.
Bruschetta couscous salad recipe
- 2 cups uncooked couscous
- 1 cup canned tomato juice
- ⅓ cup sundried tomato pesto
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅔ cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- ⅓ cup canned crushed tomatoes
- ⅓ cup yellow onion, diced
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp. spices (parsley, basil, oregano)
- ½ tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine uncooked couscous, tomato juice, pesto, water and lemon juice. Mix well and let sit.
2. Meanwhile, dice the onion and the tomatoes and finely chop the fine herbs.
3. Mix all the ingredients and let sit for a minimum of three hours (preferably overnight) to allow the couscous to absorb liquid and swell.
4. Rectify seasoning to taste.
Servings: 4 to 6 / Preparation time: 30 minutes + 3 hours of wait time