Product of the month: naturallyorganic goji berries (+ a nut-free granola bars recipe)
Naturallyorganic, Avril Supermarché Santé’s home brand, offers exclusive products of superior quality. Avril’s founders carefully select each item during their numerous trips abroad, where they set out to discover local, responsible and eco-friendly producers. This month’s selection: organic goji berries.
The goji berry is a small red fruit from Asia and although it has been used for more than 2,000 years in traditional Chinese medicine, it has gained popularity in the West only in the last few years. Goji berries are an excellent source of vitamin C (antioxidants) and vitamin A (beta-carotene)1. They are mainly consumed as dried fruits as a snack or incorporated into various recipes (granola bars, energy bites, smoothies, etc.). Our naturallyorganic goji berries come from the highlands of Qinghai in Tibet. The climatic conditions, the soil and the spring water of the Himalayas make them particularly fleshy and naturally sweet.
Nut-free granola bars recipe
- 1 ½ cups oatmeal
- 1 ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 3 cups puffed brown rice
- 1 cup sunflower butter
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. salt
1. Preheat oven 350 °F.
2. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brown the oatmeal for 12 to 15 minutes. Do the same with sunflower and pumpkin seeds for 7 to 8 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, puffed brown rice and dried fruit.
4. In a small pot, slowly heat the sunflower butter and honey. Add cinnamon and salt.
5. Pour the hot mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well with a spatula.
6. Spread in baking dish (9″ x 13″ with high rim) lined with parchment paper or oil spray.
7. Cover the baking dish with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour before unmoulding and cutting into bars.
Number of servings: 12 to 16 bars / Preparation time: 30 minutes + cooling time