Product of the month: naturallyorganic oatmeal (+ a pumpkin & oats muffin recipe)
Naturallyorganic, Avril Supermarché Santé’s home brand, offers exclusive products of superior quality. Avril’s founders carefully select each item during their numerous trips abroad, where they set out to discover local, responsible and eco-friendly producers. This month’s selection: organic oatmeal.
Oats are undoubtedly one of the most popular cereals, thanks to its versatility and nutritional values. They are rich in beta-glucan, a soluble fibre with many health benefits: it helps reduce blood cholesterol (beneficial for preventing cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes), it normalizes intestinal transit and it creates a satiating effect. Oats are also an important source of vitamin B1 as well as phosphorus and magnesium. There are two main types of oats: organic pure oatmeal (large flakes) and quick organic pure oatmeal (split flakes). Naturallyorganic oat flakes are gluten-free certified and are made from oats grown in the Canadian Prairies.
Pumpkin & oats muffin recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup quick organic pure oatmeal
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp. nutmeg powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- One 398 ml can of pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup sunflower oil
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350 °F.
2. In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients (except cane sugar).
3. In another bowl, whisk cane sugar and eggs until the sugar is dissolved.
4. Add oil and water alternately, followed by dry ingredients. Mix with a spatula until the texture is homogeneous.
5. Spread the mixture in a greased muffin pan or one lined with paper or silicone molds.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the tip of a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Preparation time: 45 minutes / Cooking time: 25 minutes / Servings: 12 to 16 muffins