Product of the month: naturallyorganic red kidney beans and black beans (+ a vegetarian chilli recipe)
Naturallyorganic, Avril Supermarché Santé’s home brand, offers exclusive products of superior quality. Avril’s founders carefully select each item during their numerous trips abroad, where they set out to discover local, responsible and eco-friendly producers. This month’s selection: red kidney beans and black beans.
More than ever, consumers are turning to legumes as a substitute for animal protein. And for good reason! As mentioned by nutritionist and Avril food expert Hubert Cormier in his book “Légumineuses & Cie.”, legumes are excellent for good health:
- They are a source of vitamins and minerals such as phosphorus, iron, manganese, copper and folate.
- They are a source of plant-based proteins and amino acids.
- They are rich in dietary fibre, which helps prevent constipation as well as controlling appetite and diabetes.
- They have a very low fat content and do not contain dietary cholesterol.
- They help lower blood cholesterol and blood pressure, thus reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Naturallyorganic red kidney beans and black beans are certified organic by Ecocert Canada, are gluten-free and have a very short list of ingredients: beans, water and sea salt. Not to mention they are sold in 100% practical and reusable glass jars! In the kitchen, these ingredients can be used in salads, salsas, soups, burritos or chilli:
Vegetarian chilli recipe
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 peppers (any colour), diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 jar of black beans
- 1 jar of red beans
- 1 jar of chickpeas
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeded and without the stem
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. chilli powder (optional)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (796 ml each)
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1. In a large pot, heat oil over high heat.
2. Sauté vegetables, garlic and legumes for 8 to 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add spices and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a boil.
5. Simmer 30 to 40 minutes and add apple cider vinegar.
6. Correct seasoning if necessary.
7. Serve with sour cream, fresh cilantro and tortilla chips.
Preparation time: 1h / Servings: 8 to 10