RECIPE OF THE MONTH: VEGAN DONUTS WITH ALMOND CARAMEL
Those who follow my blog Noisette & Ciboulette know that I love giving food as a present. When Avril asked me to create an original and healthy dessert, I immediately thought about these vegan donuts! They are quick and easy to make, whether you are having people over or bringing them with you at a get-together.
Although the donuts alone are delicious, the addition of almond butter caramel (hostess gift anyone?) will impress everyone, even the vegan cuisine skeptics, guaranteed!
For the donuts:
- 2 tbsp. white chia seeds
- 1/4 cup of water
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose organic flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
For almond caramel:
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp. chopped hazelnuts (for decoration)
For the donuts:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 ° F.
2. In a bowl, combine chia seeds and water and put aside.
3. In a second bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and put aside.
4. In a third bowl, using a whisk, combine vegetable oil, applesauce and sugar. Add in the mixture of chia seeds and water and the vanilla.
5. Add in the dry ingredients alternating with the milk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
6. Transfer the batter into a donut pan and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
For the almond caramel:
1. Bring a small saucepan to medium heat, combine almond butter and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and add the almond milk. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Pour caramel into a bowl. Top the donuts with the caramel and hazelnuts as they come out of the oven.
Preparation time: 15 minutes / Cooking time: 15 minutes / Yields: 12 donuts