The naturallyorganic product of the month: Deglet Nour dates (+ a date & lime snack bars recipe)
Naturallyorganic, Avril Supermarché Santé’s home brand, offers exclusive products of superior quality. Avril’s founders carefully select each item during their numerous trips abroad, where they set out to discover local, responsible and eco-friendly producers. This month’s selection: organic Deglet Nour dates.
The health benefits of dates
- They are rich in fibre. They play an important role in intestinal regularity, in the prevention of constipation, in the reduction of cholesterol level and in the normalization of glucose and insulin levels2.
- They are rich in antioxidants, more particularly in carotenoids and phenolic compounds. These protect the cells of the body from damage caused by free radicals2.
- They are rich in carbohydrates such as fructose, dextrose, sucrose and maltose, all good sources of energy for the body1.
- They are rich in trace elements (copper, zinc and iron), making them an ideal food for people with anemia1.
Naturallyorganic Deglet Nour dates
Our organic Deglet Nour dates come from Tunisia. This specific variety of dates stands out by its soft texture and sweet taste. Pureed dates can be used as a substitute to refined sugar in smoothies, energy bites, muffins, breads and desserts. Also, dates pair wonderfully well with savoury dishes such as soups, tabbouleh, stuffing, etc.
Date & lime snack bars recipe
For the filling:
- 1 cup of dates, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup of orange juice
- ¼ cup of water
- The juice and zest of ½ lime
- A pinch of cardamom
For the crumble:
- 1 cup of oatmeal
- ¾ cup of rice flour
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- ¾ cup cold butter or margarine, cut into 1 cm cubes
- Preheat oven to 320 °F. Butter the bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the filling. In a saucepan, cook over low heat until liquid is completely evaporated. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the crumble. Spread half of the mixture in the baking dish and press firmly. Bake 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Spread the filling in the baking dish and cover with the crumble. Bake at 350 °F for 40 to 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Let cool and cut into 8 to 10 squares.
Preparation time: 20 minutes / Cooking time: 65 minutes / Yields: 8 to 10 squares