The naturallyorganic product of the month: Guara almonds
(+ an almond beverage recipe)
naturallyorganic, Avril’s home brand, is born of a deep desire to offer exclusive products of superior quality. Some are locally produced, while others have been carefully selected by Avril’s founders during their numerous trips abroad, where they seek to discover responsible and eco-friendly producers with high standards. This month’s selection: organic Guara almonds.
The health benefits of almonds
- They contain several vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B9, E) and minerals (calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, zinc)1.
- They are a good source of fibre that regulate intestinal transit and have a satiating effect1.
- They are a good source of plant-based protein1.
- They have a high content of antioxidants, known to reduce the damage caused by free radicals in the body1.
- They have a high content of phytosterols, known to decrease the absorption of cholesterol in the intestine1.
- They mainly contain monounsaturated fats1, which are beneficial for cardiovascular function2.
naturallyorganic Guara almonds
Our raw almonds and roasted and salted almonds come from the region of Pinoso in southern Spain. The Guara variety has a typical slightly bitter Mediterranean taste. They can be eaten whole, or integrated to recipes in crushed, slivered or powdered form in sweet (cookies, energy bites, muffins, breads, etc.) or savoury (soups, salads, tajines, etc.) recipes. Furthermore, our almonds come from the Pinoso Valley Rehabilitation Project, which allows small local farmers to survive in a competitive global market.
Almond drink recipe
- Nut milk bag
- Large pitcher
- 1 cup almonds
- Filtered water
- Ice cubes
- In a bowl, cover the almonds with filtered water and soak overnight
- Drain and rinse almonds
- Put the almonds into the blender, add a few ice cubes, 3 cups of filtered water and desired seasoning. Mix at maximum speed for about 1 minute.
- Using the nut milk bag, filter the liquid in a large bowl
- Make a bundle with the fabric and squeeze hard with your hands to bring out as much liquid as possible *
- Pour the almond beverage into a pitcher, add 6 cups of filtered water and mix well
The almond beverage can be kept for up to 4 days in the refrigerator
* How to reuse the almond pulp: spread it on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring frequently. The dried almond pulp can then be incorporated into muffin or cookie mix, as a substitute for some of the flour.
Yield: 2 litres of almond beverage