The naturallyorganic product of the month: organic pumpkin seeds (+ energy bar recipe)
Naturallyorganic, Avril Supermarché Santé’s home brand, offers exclusive products of superior quality. Avril’s founders, Sylvie Senay and Rolland Tanguay, carefully select each item during their numerous trips abroad, where they set out to discover local, responsible and eco-friendly producers. This month’s selection: raw organic pumpkin seeds.
One 50g serving (1/3 cup) of pumpkin seeds contains 15g of protein, 4g of fibre and 28% of the recommended daily intake of iron. In addition, pumpkin seeds are rich in magnesium, copper, phosphorus, manganese and zinc. Not to mention that they also contain vitamin B1, potassium, selenium (a trace element), tryptophan, tyrosine and phenylalanine (three amino acids)1.
Originating from Styria in Austria, a region renowned for its soil and climate conducive to the cultivation of the best squash, our Styriaca pumpkin seeds are recognized for their nutritional qualities and for their health benefits (they contribute in particular to male urinary health). Pumpkin seeds can be eaten by themselves as a snack, they can be used as a topper (soups, yogurt parfaits, etc.) or be integrated to various recipes (salad, wild rice, breakfast bread, etc.).
Energy bar recipe
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/3 cup of sultana grapes
- 1/3 cup dried chopped apricots
- 1/3 cup of sesame seeds
- ½ cup of maple syrup
- 2/3 cup of coconut oil
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 °F and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine seeds, chopped walnuts and chopped dried fruit. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, gently heat the coconut oil, maple syrup, brown sugar and almond butter. When the mixture is homogeneous, remove saucepan from oven and add the baking soda while whisking.
- Pour in the seed, nut and dried fruit mixture and stir.
- Spread mixture on the baking sheet and press down with your hands.
- Bake in the middle rack for 15 minutes or until the sides are lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting.
* Can be refrigerated for up to one month.
Preparation time: 15 minutes / Cooking time: 15 minutes / Yields: 12 squares