The naturallyorganic product of the month: raw cashews (+ a vegan Alfredo sauce recipe)
Naturallyorganic, Avril Supermarché Santé’s home brand, offers exclusive products of superior quality. Avril’s founders carefully select each item during their numerous trips abroad, where they set out to discover local, responsible and eco-friendly producers. This month’s selection: organic raw cashews.
Although many believe they are part of the nut family, cashews are actually an oleaginous fruit from the cashew tree. Naturallyorganic cashews are certified organic by Ecocert Canada and are also Forest Garden certified (attesting that cultivating them helps conserve the biodiversity of Sri Lanka). Also, they are shelled by hand, rather than boiled, to remove the hull. With this method, the cashews retain their complete nutritional value.
The health benefits of cashews
Cashews are a good source of vitamins (B1, B2, E and K) and minerals (copper, magnesium, iron, manganese, phosphorus and zinc)1. They also contain a significant amount of protein (which provides satiety)2, fibre (beneficial for intestinal transit)2 and antioxidants (which protect the body’s cells from damage caused by free radicals)1. Also, 60% of cashews’ fat content comes in the form of monounsaturated fatty acids, a good fat beneficial to cardiovascular health1. Cashews can be eaten raw as a snack, used to make plant-based milk, sauces and butters and can be used in savoury (salads, stir-fries, rice, etc.) or sweet (biscuits, brownies, cakes, etc.) recipes.
Vegan Alfredo sauce recipe
- 3 cups water for soaking
- 1 cup cashews
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup Parmesan-style vegan cheese
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ garlic clove, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- Soak cashews in water for a minimum of 2 hours
- Drain and rinse cashews
- Mix all ingredients in blender until very smooth consistency
ALFREDO ZOODLES RECIPE
- 2 cups of zucchini noodles (zoodles)
- ¼ cup of vegan Alfredo sauce
- 5 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 tbsp. tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. chopped green onion
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and using tongs mix the sauce with zucchini noodles.
- Serve in a pasta dish, garnish with parmesan cheese, ground pepper, chopped parsley and a lemon wedge.