Wellness tip: My gluten-free essentials
Did you know that May is Celiac Disease Awareness month? Almost a year ago, I had to stop eating gluten (and other cereals) for health reasons. Although I am not celiac, I am very sympathetic to those who struggle with this condition. That’s why I wanted to share my top 10 favourite gluten-free, 100% gourmet products…that do not cause me any pain or bloating!
Crackers are a bit like gluten-free bread, you have to try several before finding ones you really like. Here are two options, a classic and one to discover!
- Elco’s Gluten Free Sesame Rice Crackers are part of my pantry essentials, since they are versatile and they can go with almost everything (hummus, tartare, tuna salad, etc.) without hiding the taste of other ingredients!
- Tutti Gourmet’s gluten-free (and vegan!) crackers are made from fruit and vegetable puree. Plus, they’re free of corn, soy, dairy, nuts, and added salt. Delicious and very tasty, they go well with cheeses, soup, etc. Otherwise, I like to use them as breading on fish to enhance the taste!
Have you tried most gluten-free tortilla and are still not too convinced? Live Organic tortillas are, in my opinion, the best on the market! Ever since I discovered them, I’ve been looking forward to being able to find them in Quebec. In addition to having a short and healthy list of ingredients (these tortillas are made of dehydrated vegetables and whole grains), they are filled with nutrients and vitamins, they do not break and are tasty! Two flavours are available at Avril: SUPER GREEN and CHIPOTLE.
Many people say that gluten-free pasta doesn’t taste very good! Well, I beg to differ. Just get your hands on the right products and you’ll be convinced. Here are my favourites, based on taste and texture, that I like to use in recipes:
- Organic and gluten-free multigrain pasta from Bioitalia – made from corn flour (75%), rice flour (10%), buckwheat flour (10%) and quinoa flour (5%) – are a reminder of the taste and texture of whole wheat pasta.
- GoGo Quinoa’s organic and gluten-free super grain pasta – made from chia, quinoa, sorghum and amaranth – is healthy and delicious. In addition to offering a sought-after al dente texture, these pastas are 100% vegan.
- Explore Cuisine’s organic and gluten-free red lentil pasta – made with red lentil flour and brown rice flour – are to be discovered. In addition to containing 11g of protein per serving, they are high in fibre, low in fat and as tasty as nutritious!
You probably know all-purpose or pastry gluten-free flours from Cuisine L’Angélique or Maison Cannelle, which are must-haves if you cannot eat gluten. But have you ever tried almond or oatmeal flours? Personally, I love them as much for their taste as their nutritional values!
- naturallyorganic organic and gluten-free Guara almond flour is perfect for lunch, snack and dessert recipes (pancakes, energy balls, muffins, scones, cakes, etc.), since it has a naturally sweet and creamy taste.
- naturallyorganic organic and gluten-free oat flakes. I use them as is or I gring them into a powder using a mixer to make flour that I then integrate in different recipes to add texture.
When I run out of time to make homemade cookies (with almond flour or oats!) or when I feel like treating myself, there are two products that I always go for:
- GoGo Quinoa’s vegan and gluten-free dark chocolate quinoa cookies offer an incomparable shortbread texture and are just sweet enough!
- Tutti Gourmet’s vegan and gluten-free Biscottis which, just like the crackers, are wheat-free, dairy-free, soy-free, corn-free and peanut-free…just delicious! My favorite flavors are orange and dark chocolate, as well as chocolate and almonds. Go ahead and try them!
I hope that you will make great discoveries with my TOP 10 gluten-free essentials. Don’t hesitate to comment below and let me know what your favourite products are!