View Our Recipes Print
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 3 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 227 g diced mushrooms
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced sweet red pepper
- 1 diced zucchini
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2-3 minced garlic cloves
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 cups homemade or store-bought tomato and basil sauce
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook barley in vegetable broth, 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender.
- Blanch cabbage leaves in boiling salt water, cool in an ice bath. Drain.
- Sautee mushrooms, onion and red pepper in oil.
- Season, add zucchini and garlic. Cook 2 more minutes.
- Deglaze pan with white wine, let simmer down until almost dry.
- Close heat. Transfer vegetables to back to pan, adding barley. Let cool down before adding egg. Mix well.
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Spread 1 cup tomato sauce in a 13″x9″ oiled baking dish.
- Fill each cabbage leaf with 1/2 cup barley filling. Roll tightly and place in baking dish, making sure the closure sits on the underside of the roll.
- Cover with remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake in oven 1 hour.
Easily vary taste by switching 1/2 cup of barley with 1/2 cup of crumbled vegetarian protein or browned meat of your choice.
Avril recommends using organic and locally grown products in this recipe.